Menu Menu
Academic Senate
Menu Academic Senate
Menu UCSB - Senate
Menu University of California Santa Barbara
Menu Menu
University of California Santa Barbara

For assistance with Academic Senate related issues

General Login

What is a UCSBnetID and UCSBnetPassword?

Your UCSBnetID is your campus identifier. Your UCSBnetID and UCSBnetPassword combination provides a single set of campus credentials and authenticates you within various campus web applications. Individuals must still be granted authorization for specific campus web applications by the web applications administrator. (Even if you have successfully authenticated using your correct UCSBnetID and UCSBnetPassword, you may still not have authorization to access certain Academic Personnel applications until you are authorized to do so by the Personnel Administrator.)

How do I obtain my UCSBnetID and UCSBnetPassword?

My UCSBnetPassword does not work. How do I reset it?

First, verify that your UCSBnetPassword does not work in other web applications - e.g. UCSB Identity Editor

If your UCSBnetPassword still does not work, you will need to reset it. Please visit

Faculty Travel Grants

May I Direct Bill my travel costs through UCLA Travel Center using the Academic Senate account provided on the award letter?

No, travel costs charged by UCLA Travel Center must be charged to your department and a TOE (Transfer of Expense) must be prepared by your department and sent to the Academic Senate for approval.

Am I eligible to apply for Academic Senate faculty research or conference travel grants?

If you are an Academic Senate member (Professor, Acting Professor, Lecturer with Security of Employment (LSOE), Lecturer PSOE, Emeritus Professor) you are eligible to apply for grants. Visiting professors, post doctorate scholars and other non-Senate titles are not eligible to apply for UCSB Academic Senate grants.

How often am I eligible for a conference travel grant?

Faculty are eligible for only one conference travel grant per fiscal year, whether it is a domestic grant or an overseas grant. Every other years you may apply for an overseas award, and it counts as the one award per fiscal year. The fiscal year is July 1 to June 30.

I just found out that my paper was accepted at a conference, but I have missed the 21 day deadline. Can I get an exception?

No, we do not make exceptions to the grant deadlines. The 21-day requirement in the current policy was implemented because conferences are scheduled well in advance of the 21-day requirement, and the three week lead is the minimum needed by our office to manage the funds and the program. We must be able to make financial commitments to faculty who apply in advance, and not risk running out of funds due to exceptions.

What types of conferences would make me eligible for a conference travel grant?

Organized conferences or creative venues (for artistic presentations that are the research equivalent in the arts) that are, at least, broadly publicized, draw attendees from a national or international group of researchers or artists in the field, and are significant in terms of scholarly exposure for the UC. The grants are not intended for guest lectures or similar events that primarily benefit the faculty and students of another university.

Examples of conferences that qualify for conference grants are those held by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Association for Computing Machinery, American Educational Research Association, American Sociological Association, and the International Conference on Theatre, Literature and Arts.

Examples of the types of creative events that are supported are initial presentations of creative works at international film festivals, performances by dance faculty, and initial exhibitions of a collection of works by a faculty artist at a major art venue.

What types of events are not covered by conference travel grants?

Examples are guest lectures, funding agency meetings, workshops for the students and faculty of another institution, and visiting fellowships.

I am planning to travel domestically for a conference before June, and internationally for a conference in the middle of July, and I was wondering whether I can apply for both, or only for one of the two trips.

The two trips will occur in different fiscal years so you can apply for both.

Can the travel grants be used for travel to give an invited lecture at another institution?

No, this program will not fund travel for purposes of delivering a guest lecture, nor does it cover the cost of travel for a summer teaching position at another institution.

Can I apply for a travel grant now if it is for next year?

Yes, you can apply anytime as long as you apply at least 21 days in advance of travel. We encourage you to apply as early as possible, even if you might need to cancel the award later.

Can the travel grants be used to attend a sponsored project meeting?

No. It is typical for extramurally funded projects to entail project meetings, and these are not the type of meetings that the Senate grants are intended to support. The grant program is intended to support organized conferences that are, at least, broadly publicized and open to national or international attendees. Examples of conferences that qualify for conference grants are those held by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Association for Computing Machinery, American Educational Research Association, American Sociological Association, and the International Conference on Theatre, Literature and Arts. Faculty need to fund extramural project meetings with appropriate project grant funding or other sources.

How do I cancel a travel grant so that I can reapply for a grant to travel to a different conference?

Send an email to and ask to have the award cancelled in order to apply for a different grant. We will change the award amount to $0 in our system. You can then log on to mySenate and apply for a grant for the different conference.

Does our department need to get approval for foreign travel charged to 19900 (State) funds?

If your dean’s office requires it then you must obtain approval in the form of your dean’s signature (or his or her delegate) on the foreign travel worksheet. The Academic Senate does not sign this form – the signed form is a programmatic approval from your dean for the trip.

Can I change the travel date on my on-line application so that my application appears to meet the deadline and gets accepted by the travel application system?

This is not an acceptable practice and your travel voucher will not be approved nor processed by the Academic Senate when it is received. You will then be responsible for finding your own source for funding the travel expenses.

What can I submit as "Evidence of Conference Presentation"?

Your conference schedule showing your research presentation will provide the needed documentation for us to approve payment on your travel voucher. While the travel receipts are also necessary, the need to submit a copy of the conference schedule is a requirement of the grant program. To expedite the processing of the awards with minimal delay, we make the travel awards based on the information provided in the grant application and contingent upon receipt of the conference schedule, rather than review the conference schedule in advance of making a decision on the grant. We have not allowed payment on any grant for conference presentation travel without the conference schedule or equivalent, and have made no exceptions.

Why am I being asked for additional information for my travel grant application, or for the “evidence of presentation” for my travel voucher?

If the event on the application is unclear, we will ask for additional information in order to make a decision. It is better that we ask before an award is made rather than looking over the conference schedule after the event and realizing that it does not qualify for funding. Since travel costs are charged to our office account, our office takes the lead in ensuring that all travel that we pay for will be approved by auditors, and we look at transaction from an auditor’s perspective.

Faculty Research Grants

What is the grant period for the Faculty Research Grants and Pearl Chase Funds?

The grant period follows the fiscal year of July 1 to June 30. Projects that are not completed in this time period may receive a one year extension. To request an extension please ask your department financial staff to include your project on its list of projects that need an extension. Your department should provide one list of all the projects that need an extension, including account numbers, name of grant holder, and amount of time needed for an extension, by the end of the fiscal year.

I have already received a one-year extension on my research grant. Can I ask for another extension?

Your department may request additional time using the same list that is referenced above, and indicate your reason for the project delay on the list. These requests will be reviewed by the Academic Senate office and the Chair of the Faculty Grants Committee. Your department will be notified of the outcome of that review by email. Funding for projects that are still incomplete at the end of the second extension will be transferred back to the Academic Senate.

What grant funding options are available for faculty from the Academic Senate?

The Academic Senate office has two programs for research funding: The Individual Faculty Research Grant Program for Senate faculty only, and the Pearl Chase Grants for local community development, conservation, or historic preservation research. The Pearl Chase grants are available to Academic Senate faculty and researchers in the professional researcher title series. Information on these two programs can be found on the Academic Senate web site. The Academic Senate also has a travel grant program for assistance with travel to conferences to present a paper. Applications for the travel grants are submitted on-line through the Academic Senate mySenate web site.

Do you have any suggestions for other sources of funding that I can apply to for research funding?

The UCSB Office of Research has a number of databases that you can search for research funding opportunities:
The Interdisciplinary Humanities Center on the UCSB campus also has grant programs: Their website is:
See also the grants website for the UCOP Office of Research:
Click on the "Universitywide Funding Opportunities" option.

I missed the deadline to submit a research grant proposal. Can I submit a late proposal?

Exceptions can not be made to the research grant program policy, which is that late proposals can not be accepted. The deadline is posted almost a year in advance, giving faculty enough time for proposal preparation. The awards are made on a competitive basis and not all proposals are funded. In fairness to the applicants, we can’t allow additional time for the application process.

Can I submit a retroactive funding request by the deadline for expenses that I have already incurred?

The committee will not consider requests for funds to cover expenses retroactively. Project proposals need to be for new research efforts that will be undertaken during the grant period in order to be considered for funding.

Can research grant funds be used to pay a post doctoral researcher? A visiting professor?

No, these titles can not be paid on the Senate research grants. The research grant policy states that faculty salary can not be paid for by the grant funds.

What titles can be paid on the grants?

Funding can be requested for graduate student assistance at 24% time or less. Requests for salary for professional services will be reviewed during the proposal review process and may be considered if the service can’t be provided by a student research assistant. Examples of professional services that might be considered for funding are specialized film editing for a creative research project and language translation of archival resources.

Can the cost of a graduate student’s travel for the purpose of giving a research paper on the results of the research project be included in a faculty research grant budget?

No, this is not a cost that is covered by the faculty travel grants. Travel costs related to a faculty member doing archival or field research will be considered. Costs related to field assistance (i.e. geology or anthropology field activities) will be considered for student research assistants.

Can research assistants be paid over 24% time?

No, the grants are not intended to fully support graduate student researchers. It is expected that faculty will leverage the Senate grants and apply for extramural funding for additional support once they have some preliminary research results. Fees and gship can not be charged to Academic Senate grants. If a grad student works at UCSB for more than 24% time (all appointments combined) or 140 hours or more in a quarter during the fall, winter, or spring quarters, then it is required that they have their fees and gship paid, and those costs must be paid from the same funding source that pays for their wages. The Senate grants are relatively small, and the grad fees and gship usually amount to more than the grants are given for. A grad student can be hired up to 100% during the summer if not enrolled in a course (no fees and gship are paid in the summer). Info on payment of fees and gship can be found under the topic Graduate Student Tuition, Fees, and Health Insurance on this page:

When research assistants are no longer graduate students can they still work on a project and be paid on a Senate research grant?

When a research assistant becomes an academic in his/her own right and it is in his/her interest to get his/her name on publications, they can participate in the project but they can not charge the project.

Can I ask for subventions?

The cost of publication subvention may be considered up to $2,000. Please review the Faculty Research Grants Program Policy for guidelines and requirements.

Can staff log in to a faculty member’s Senate account to view his or her grant history?

No, the individual grant history for Academic Senate members is available to individual faculty only with their use of their UCSBnetID and password. Academic Senate faculty use the Senate web site to conduct Senate business so the site is password protected. We are not set up to maintain a site for staff access.

Doctoral Student Travel Grants

I received a Doctoral Student Travel Grant last year. May I apply again this year?

No, due to limited funding, doctoral students are eligible for one travel grant over the course of their enrollment at UCSB, after advancement to candidacy.

I am filing my dissertation in September, but I was invited to speak at a conference in October. Am I still eligible for the grant?

Upon filing your dissertation, you would be considered finished and therefore unregistered. Applicants must be currently registered graduate students or students on an approved leave of absence.

I don’t have my invitation to speak at the conference yet. May I turn in the rest of the application to keep my place in line for funding?

As our funds are granted on a first-come first-served basis, only complete application packages are accepted.

I am traveling for a job interview, not to speak at a conference. May I apply for the travel grant?

Applicants must be invited or selected to present a paper, present research, perform or exhibit at a major professional conference or meeting.

I just returned from a conference. May I apply for the Doctoral Student Travel Grant if I have already traveled?

In order to qualify for the Doctoral Student Travel Grant, you must submit your application 21 days before your date of travel. Applications submitted after the deadline, or after travel will not be accepted.

My department chair is out of the office for the next two weeks, can I turn in the application without it and get the signature later?

No, we do not accept incomplete applications. Most departments have another person appointed to sign when the department chair is away from the office, such as a Vice-Chair. Please ask your department’s Management Services Officer (MSO) about the possibility of an alternate signor.

The application asks for the signature of my graduate advisor. Does this mean my faculty advisor or the staff graduate advisor in my department?

Please provide the signature of your faculty advisor.

I already received my award letter for the Doctoral Student Travel Grant, and I bought my plane ticket, but my trip isn’t for another month. Can you reimburse me now?

Please ask your departmental financial affairs officer to prepare a Travel Advance Request, using the account number provided on the award letter.

The application states that travel vouchers and original receipts must be submitted to the Academic Senate within 10 days. I won’t be back at UCSB for two weeks after the conference. Will I still be able to turn in my receipts for reimbursement?

Yes, you will still be able to turn in your receipts. The ten day deadline begins when you return to campus from your trip, not from the date of your conference.

I just returned from the conference. Who do I turn in my receipts to?

Please submit your receipts, with a copy of your original award letter to the financial affairs officer in your department.