Menu Menu
Academic Senate
Menu Academic Senate
Menu UCSB - Senate
Menu University of California Santa Barbara
Menu Menu
University of California Santa Barbara

I received a Doctoral Student Travel Grant last year. May I apply again this year?

No, due to limited funding, doctoral students are eligible for one travel grant over the course of their enrollment at UCSB, after advancement to candidacy.

I am filing my dissertation in September, but I was invited to speak at a conference in October. Am I still eligible for the grant?

Upon filing your dissertation, you would be considered finished and therefore unregistered. Applicants must be currently registered graduate students or students on an approved leave of absence.

I don’t have my invitation to speak at the conference yet. May I turn in the rest of the application to keep my place in line for funding?

As our funds are granted on a first-come first-served basis, only complete application packages are accepted.

I am traveling for a job interview, not to speak at a conference. May I apply for the travel grant?

Applicants must be invited or selected to present a paper, present research, perform or exhibit at a major professional conference or meeting.

I just returned from a conference. May I apply for the Doctoral Student Travel Grant if I have already traveled?

In order to qualify for the Doctoral Student Travel Grant, you must submit your application 21 days before your date of travel. Applications submitted after the deadline, or after travel will not be accepted.

My department chair is out of the office for the next two weeks, can I turn in the application without it and get the signature later?

No, we do not accept incomplete applications. Most departments have another person appointed to sign when the department chair is away from the office, such as a Vice-Chair. Please ask your department’s Management Services Officer (MSO) about the possibility of an alternate signor.

The application asks for the signature of my graduate advisor. Does this mean my faculty advisor or the staff graduate advisor in my department?

Please provide the signature of your faculty advisor.

I already received my award letter for the Doctoral Student Travel Grant, and I bought my plane ticket, but my trip isn’t for another month. Can you reimburse me now?

Please ask your departmental financial affairs officer to prepare a Travel Advance Request, using the account number provided on the award letter.

The application states that travel vouchers and original receipts must be submitted to the Academic Senate within 10 days. I won’t be back at UCSB for two weeks after the conference. Will I still be able to turn in my receipts for reimbursement?

Yes, you will still be able to turn in your receipts. The ten day deadline begins when you return to campus from your trip, not from the date of your conference.

I just returned from the conference. Who do I turn in my receipts to?

Please submit your receipts, with a copy of your original award letter to the financial affairs officer in your department.