Menu Menu
Academic Senate
Menu Academic Senate
Menu UCSB - Senate
Menu University of California Santa Barbara
Menu Menu
University of California Santa Barbara


5.66 Unit-Hours Ratio.

(Rescinded 8 Mar 07)

We surmise that this unanimous decision springs from a conclusion that the needs of lower-division students are such that a one-unit:one-hour ratio for their courses is educationally advantageous. We shall accordingly apply this policy henceforth as a guiding interpretation of the Senate motion. Lower-division courses will be approved only if they maintain the ratio indicated.


Any course which includes a mandatory laboratory or discussion section concurrent with the lecture shall count as one course when computing the number of Passed/Not Passed courses in a student's study schedule, even though the Registrar may assign a separate number to the laboratory or discussion section and require an additional grade. No student shall receive a letter grade for one part of the course and a Passed/Not Passed grade for the other part.

4.70 Credit by Examination.

A student registered in the current regular session who by reason of advance preparation believes himself/herself to be adequately grounded in the materials and principles of a given course may petition for credit by examination for any course which may be listed in the current General Catalog of the University of California, Santa Barbara, or in any other subject appropriate for inclusion in a University curriculum. If credit is sought in a course not regularly offered at Santa Barbara, the petition must be approved by the Committee on Undergraduate Courses. The student may elect, at the time his or her petition is initiated, to take the examination on the Passed/Not Passed basis, provided he/she is eligible for enrollment in a course on that basis during that term. If he/she passes the examination, he/she will be awarded full credit for the course and will be assigned the grade he/she earned in the examination. Failure to pass the examination will be recorded as an F or an NP, whichever is appropriate, in the student's record. Certain courses, by reason of special features of the instruction, such as extensive laboratory work, may not be considered appropriate for obtaining credit by examination. In addition, credit by examination is not available for a course in which the student has completed more advanced work in the same field, nor for an elementary course in a foreign language in which the applicant is a native speaker. All petitions for credit by examination must be approved by the dean of the appropriate college in advance of the date of the examination. Ordinarily, credit by examination is limited to 12 units.


199 and Other Independent Studies Courses (involving individualized instruction). Students with upper-division standing will be eligible to take from one to five units per quarter in independent studies courses designated as such by the Committee, including 199s (involving individualized instruction), if they secure the approval of the instructor and the department chair. A student may take up to a total of 15 units per year for a maximum of 30 total units of independent studies. It is the responsibility of the student to make sure that he/she meets the eligibility criteria.

Independent studies course information will be available on computer printouts during the quarter for the administrative use of department chair, deans, and the Committee on Undergraduate Courses. (Am 22 Apr 99)


College of Creative Studies students may enroll in a maximum of 24 units of Independent Studies courses per year, and a maximum counted toward graduation of 45 units.


Course Unit Valuation. For the purpose of implementing Systemwide Regulation 760 in determining the value of a course in units, it is presumed that for typical lower-division courses, one hour of lecture and/or discussion section per week requires an additional two hours of work per week on the part of each student. Hence one hour of lecture and/or discussion per week should typically be worth one unit of credit. It is understood that this presumption may not hold for all lower-division courses, and in those cases some justification regarding student workload will be required before units can be assigned to the course. (Am 7 Jun 07)


Upper-Division Course Prerequisites. If a course has been designated as upper-division (i.e., numbered from 100 to 199), it must have one or more prerequisites. Prerequisites may include preparatory courses (with a passing grade or higher), consent of instructor or department, class level restrictions, major limitations, or minimum test scores.